Re: Re: Fw: Sentence structure or construction!

Revcraigh@aol.com
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 13:27:25 -0500 (EST)

Dear Ward,

>1. Is the subject/object count including or excluding pronouns? (Those who
>have been following this thread will perhaps recall that when I put forward
>my comments about word order in a typical Greek clause/sentence, I
>specifically referred only to nouns, adding that I could see no pattern for
>the position of pronoun subjects/objects when used.)

As you will have noticed by now, if you have had the chance to glance at my
research paper (?), I have been including anything that can be used as either
a subject and/or object, including infinitives and even clauses themselves.
I had indeed lost track of the fact that it was specifically Nouns to which
we were all referring in the beginning of this thread.

This brings me to these queries: what would you consider a 'Noun' for the
purposes of your comments? Would that be only those words classified
lexically as such, or would that include also, for example, Adjectives used
as Nouns (ex., hO DIKAIOS LEGEI AGAQA where hO DIKAIOS and AGAQA function as
Nouns in the sentence)? How about Participles (ex., Mt 19:4 hO DE APOKRIQEIS
EIPEN, OUK ANEGNWTE hOTI *hO KTISAS* AP' ARXHS ARSEN KAI QHLU EPOIHSEN AUTOUS
where hO KTISAS functions as a Noun in the sentence)? What about infinitives
functioning as Subject/Object in a sentence? Also, with respect to Verbs, do
your comments refer only to finite verbs in independent clauses, or to
Participles as well (ex., in Gen. Abs.constructions or dependent participial
phrases). What about infinitives when they have a Subject/Object stated?

The reason for my questions is to, if possible, pare down some of the work I
am doing. If, for example, you mean only finite Verbs with true Nouns as
Subject and/or Object in main (independent) clauses, then I could ignore all
other situations. This would save time and possible confusion (which, I
admit, I have been operating in for some time).

God bless,
Rev. Craig R. Harmon.