RE: Rom 13:8-10

Stevens, Charles C (Charles.Stevens@unisys.com)
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 23:56:51 -0000

At 2:45AM on 11/11/1997, Rick Strelan queries:

<<In Rom 13:8-10 it looks like ETERON NOMON is the natural object of the
verb PEPLHRWKEN, and that one should translate:'The one who loves has
fulfilled the other law', that is, has fulfilled the 'other which is
like unto the first table'. The context, which goes on to quote the
second table, would support that.>>

I'm a really *little* Greek, but wouldn't that more likely be TON NOMON
hETERON or even TON NOMON TON hETERON or something similar if "the other
law" was the referent here?

My TR has a comma between "hETERON" and "NOMON", and although my
BibleWorks Nestle-Aland (26th?) doesn't, all the translations I have
available to me, except possibly the Vulgage ( "...nisi ut invicem
diligatis qui enim diligit proximum legem implevit", and my Latin is
pretty rusty), seem to so read the passage.

<<Does anyone know of passages where the second table is described as
'the other law'?>>

I'm not convinced this passage meets that criterion; "PLAX" (table) and
its variants seems to appear in the NT only in Hebrews and in 2 Cor, in
both cases with clear references to the Mosaic law, either direct or by
inference.

-Chuck Stevens [SMTP: Charles.Stevens@unisys.com]