Re: 1 Tim 6:14

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:24:09 -0500

At 06:29 PM 11/12/97 +1300, Trevor and Margaret Nicholls wrote:

>THRHSAI SE THN ENTOLHN ASPILON ANEPILHMPTON
>
>Which of the two alternatives does this mean?
>
>1. Keep the commandment PURE, i.e. don't change it, augment it, water it
>down, or otherwise spoil it.
>2. Keep the commandment PURELY, i.e. don't transgress it.

To me, it looks like either is a possible interpretation of the Greek. Note
that many translations, including the KJV, maintain the ambiguity, so that
either ASPILON or ANEPILHMPTON can refer either to the commandment itself or
the manner in which it is to be kept:

1Tim 6:14 (KJV) That thou keep [this] commandment without spot,
unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons