Re: greek font

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 09:32:08 -0500

At 10:06 PM 11/11/97 -0500, Kevin and Sandi Anderson wrote:
>While we're on the thread about Greek fonts, I was wondering if anyone knows
>if there are transliteration fonts for Greek and Hebrew? Neither ASCII nor
>extended ASCII seems to include, for example, the letter "e" with a
>horizonal stroke over it (transliterating the letter Eta), or the
>superscript "e" (transliterating the Shewa, and with other strokes upon it
>to render forms of compound Shewa).

While we're on this topic, I suspect that most people can use the 8859
characters to represent Greek transliteration. In the first lesson of Little
Greek 101, I use this transcription along with the real Greek letters:

a b g d e z Š th i k l m n ks o p r s t u f ch ps Ÿ

The transcription looks like this:

En archŠ Šn ho logos, kai ho logos Šn pros ton theon, kai theos Šn ho
logos...kai chŸris autou egeneto oude hen.

Is there anybody who can't see these letters in their mailers? If anybody
does not see an "e" with a line over it at the start of "Šn", please send me
a private email to let me know.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine