Re: The demonstrative pronoun in Acts 10:44?

Thomas Bond (lpbond@pld.net)
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 15:26:17 -0600

Carl W. Conrad wrote:

> I'm curious where the notion that PAS may mean "most,but not all" comes from.

I'm currently auditing a NT Greek class while I am dong a "reading" class
(Philippians). the grammar being used in "A Grammar for New Testament Greek" by
James M. Efird. In preparing a lession that I am going to teach in the absence of
the Professor, I endountered this statement (p. 104): "PAS maya be used in the
predicative position and then usually means 'all' in the sense of most, many, a
large number (but not necessarily indicating totality)." I have never encountered
that nuance of meaning otherwise, but my experience is limited.

Thomas Bond
lpbond@pldi.net