Re: TIQHMI THN YUXHN AUTOU

Martin Arhelger (martin.arhelger@metronet.de)
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 23:23:58 +0100

Paul Zellmer wrote concerning TIQHMI THN YUXHN AUTOU:

> Eight times, John uses this phrase, which I assume to be a
> euphemism
> for voluntarily dying. The biblical usage appears to be limited
> him. Since I don't have access to the Net, could one of you check
> for
> me to see if the phrase is used in any of the classical works.
> I.e.,
> is it a common euphemism, or could it be a phrase coined for the
> Johannine writings only?
>
> In case you want to check my research of biblical usage, I have
> found
> the phrase in John 10:11,15,17; 13:37,38; 15:13; and 1 John 3:16
> (twice).

In the Greek dictionary of Bauer-Aland (German edition of BAGD)
there is a reference mentioned (under TIQHMI 1, b, delta) from
Apocalypsis Sedrach 1,5: THN YUXHN QH hUPER TWN FILWN.

Perhaps someone is able to give the context of this passage with
translation. I don't have an edition of Apocalypsis Sedrach, not do
I know a refernce in the web.

Regards
| |
| Martin Arhelger |