Re: Introductory

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 08:35:17 -0500

At 10:02 PM 11/16/97 +0900, Arthur Barry wrote:
>Sirs,

I guess the males have been the most prominent posters over the last few days, but I hope the women will also feel free to answer.

>I have been following your correspondence for a few days and I am afraid
>my Greek is so rudimentary that my head is spinning most of the time. I
>certainly do not have anything to contribute. I do have a simple
>question which I am almost embarassed to ask.

Questions are a valuable contribution. There are quite a few beginners out there, and if they would ask more questions, there would be more on B-Greek for beginners. That said, I'm not sure that I have the answer, but if I venture one, that will flush out the experts ;->

>Is there a word in Greek
>for "widower"? If not, could the term "unmarried" in 1 cor 7:8 embrace
>widowers?

1 Cor 7:8 talks about TOIS hAGAMOIS and TAIS CHRAIS. As I understand it, TOIS hAGAMOIS refers to people who, for any reason, are not married, and this term is sometimes used in contexts where it clearly includes widows or divorced people. I believe that it is almost exactly equivalent to the English "unmarried". TAIS CHRAIS refers to those who are widowed - in general, we think of widows, not widowers, but it is quite possible that this term could also refer to widowers. Wait until you see what others say before you believe me too much ;->

Jonathan