Re: Introducing the cases: round two

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 07:30:22 -0500

At 06:03 AM 11/20/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:

>Furthermore, it seems to me that (EMOI or IMHO!) it would be more
>consistent with what you've done with the other categories to put down as a
>listing for "pure" or "true" dative, the two prepositional phases: "to" X,
>"for" X. If you did that you could eliminate the central term "Indirect
>object," and your prepositional phrases would then automatically include
>datives of possession and the whole general categories of dative of
>reference (such as EMOI as "ethical" or "sentence" dative). For Locative
>dative, you might add a second prepositional phrase: "at" X.

Both good points, EMOI.

>Personally I'm increasingly leery of "object" as a viable syntactical term
>and am coming to prefer "complement" for the word used to complete the
>sense of a verb; I do think it makes sense to speak of a "direct
>complement" and an "indirect complement." However, "direct object" and
>"indirect object" are so deeply rooted in traditional grammar that they
>cannot be dislodged very easily; English-speaking novices in Koine Greek or
>in any other language who know nothing else about English grammar probably
>know what a "direct object" and an "indirect object" are supposed to be.

I agree with you, and the "complement" approach is better preparation for
using BAGD to identify the various complements of verbs, as well as being
closer to the approach in Smyth. However, I am not aware that any NT Grammar
takes this approach, and Smyth does not really discuss different kinds of
complements. I would really like a precise discussion of complements that I
could draw on, including complements of English verbs. Does anybody know of
such a thing?

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine