Re: Introducing the cases: round two (clarification)

Jonathan Robie (jwrobie@mindspring.com)
Thu, 20 Nov 1997 14:15:59 -0500

At 01:00 PM 11/20/97 -0600, Carl William Conrad wrote:

The model I am using - and I got this from a Real Live Linguist^TM - is that the direct object is a complement of the verb, but the indirect object is a complement of (verb+object). I'm not sure whether your "indirect complement" is precisely equivalent to "indirect object" or not.

>> Does this seem like a reasonable approach?
>
>Well, yes, as far as it goes. The problem is that (a) the notion of a
>direct object is so indelibly linked to an accusative case that it may be
>difficult to get people thinking about a direct "object" in the dative or
>genitive case--and it does sound a bit odd;

My Real Live Linguist^TM source says that most objects are marked for accusative, but some are marked for other cases. That doesn't sound that hard to explain.

>and (b) "object" disguises the
>fact that the grammatical function of the word used as a direct complement
>of a verb is structural and bears no necessary relationship to external
>reality.

True.

Jonathan