Re: Locative or instrumental?

Thu, 20 Nov 1997 20:25:50 -0600

At 7:46 PM -0600 11/20/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Which of these are locative, and which are instrumental?
>
>John 21:8 TWi PLOIARIWi HLQON Instrumental
>Luke 3:16 hUDATI BAPTIZW Instrumental
>John 6:44 THi ESChATHi hHMERA Locative
>
>Someone suggested to me that locative in the GNT *always* has EN, but here's
>at least one example where I don't think this is true:
>
>Matt 13:52 MAQHTEUQEIS THi BASILEIAi

I don't think this is locative; I think it is either instrumental or
possibly even true dative; it doesn't mean that one was located in the
Kingdom when one was instructed but that one was instructed or "discipled"
(if you prefer that) FOR the Kingdom, or so I think. (I think we've had
enough of EMOI for one day?)

>Any hints on distinguishing locative from instrumental?

Let's see what other think, but I still think that except when it is
temporal, a locative is always going to have an EN, and while it is true
that EN is being used more with an instrumental dative in the NT,
nevertheless the difference shouldn't be that difficult to spot: locative
is always stationary position in time or space--and that's an altogether
different idea from instrumentality.

Or so I think ...