Re: Rom 14:2 hOS MEN PISTEWUEI FAGEIN PANTA

Tue, 25 Nov 1997 06:02:57 -0600

At 5:43 AM -0600 11/25/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Romans 14:2 hOS MEN PISTEUEI FAGEIN PANTA, hO DE ASQENWN LACANA ESQIEI
>
>Can someone help me understand the first part of this sentence? How is
>PISTEUW used here?

I think it PISTEUW has a powerful auxiliary force here and is used in an
indirect discourse construction with an implicit nominative subject:
"believes (that he may) eat anything (at all) ..." In older Greek verbs of
knowing, EPISTAMAI and GI(G)NWSKW and OIDA are used this way, at any rate,
in a sense of "be able to." (I've always believed that this idiomatic usage
of the Greek verb is a major factor in bringing Socrates to the proposition
that Virtue is knowledge--that knowing the good necessarily involves the
power to do it. But, of course, that's not what Paul tells us in Rom 7).