Re: EIPE LOGWi Matt & Luke (spanish)

John M. Moe (John.M.Moe-1@tc.umn.edu)
Thu, 27 Nov 1997 06:59:58 +0000

Jonathan Robie wrote:

> At 05:28 PM 11/26/97 +0000, John M. Moe wrote:
>
> >Without any evidence of DIC VERBO in the literature this is, of course, all
> >speculation albeit great fun!
>
> I think that we *did* get an example from the literature, though the text
> surrounding it was in Spanish:

SNIP

Jonathan,

Thanks! I did save that post, thinking perhaps I might find someone to translate
it for me, but that brings up, what is for me, a problem, and I wonder if any
others find it so. I am a aware that Spanish is becoming more and more a language
of importance in our age. I am also aware that it is becoming more important for
theology. (There was a considerable discussion of that fact on this list awhile
back) But as a 56 year old parish pastor struggling with Greek, Hebrew, German,
and Latin I am not in a position to begin learning a new language at this point.
I don't want to argue for the priority of English over Spanish, nor do I want to
suggest that this list be restricted to English language only, But I don't like to
miss out on important points in a discussion of great interest to me, especially
one which began with a question posted by me. Could I suggest that, as a mater of
courtesy, (as opposed to law) responses to posts be in the language of the post to
which they respond. In that way a discussion begun in any language will be
continued and completed in that language. Then no one following a thread will be
left in the dark on some important point.

By the way, I don't know anyone who knows Spanish. Would it be out of line to ask
if someone would translate the post in question into English and post it to the
list? If Spanish is going to become a prerequisite for this list I'm (sadly) out
in the cold.

Thanks!

John M. Moe