Re: EIPE LOGWi Matt & Luke (spanish)

Thu, 27 Nov 1997 09:34:50 -0600

At 8:10 AM -0600 11/27/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>Let me suggest an alternative: perhaps the first person who is competent to
>translate a foreign-language post relatively quickly could do so, making it
>easier for those who do not speak a particular language.

Perfectly reasonable.

>For that matter, when people who are not native speakers of Latin, Hebrew,
>or Aramaic post quotes in those languages, it would be useful if they also
>posted a translation for those like me who do not read these languages.

This is less reasonable, if taken literally. I can read Latin fairly well,
but I would hardly claim to be a "native speaker" and I doubt that many on
the list would claim to be "native speakers" of Hebrew or Aramaic, even if
perchance they can read the languages. But possibly, Jonathan didn't mean
to be taken literally. Sometimes I wonder whether I'm a native speaker of
English.