Re: EIPE LOGWi Matt & Luke (spanish)

Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 06:36:33 -0500

At 09:34 AM 11/27/97 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>At 8:10 AM -0600 11/27/97, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>>For that matter, when people who are not native speakers of Latin, Hebrew,
>>or Aramaic post quotes in those languages, it would be useful if they also
>>posted a translation for those like me who do not read these languages.
>
>This is less reasonable, if taken literally. I can read Latin fairly well,
>but I would hardly claim to be a "native speaker" and I doubt that many on
>the list would claim to be "native speakers" of Hebrew or Aramaic, even if
>perchance they can read the languages. But possibly, Jonathan didn't mean
>to be taken literally.

I basically meant to point out that for a large number of people on this
list, a translation of passages quoted in other languages is helpful, so if
your native language is a modern spoken language, and you quote something in
an ancient language, I would find it helpful if a translation were also
provided.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine