Re: Spirit, Soul, Body

Thu, 7 May 1998 20:16:00 -0500

At 7:21 PM -0500 5/7/98, Eric Weiss wrote:
>Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>
>> It may be a bit more difficult to decide about the author of Hebrews (oh
>> yes, Priscilla?), --
>
>Wouldn't the masculine participle at Hebrews 11:32 (DIHGOUMENON), the
>antecedent being ME (the author), preclude a female author for Hebrews?

Well, yes, ... theoretically ... I'm not holding out personally for
Priscilla as the author, but then, you know about Samuel Butler's notion
that the Odyssey was written by Homer's daughter? When a work is not simply
pseudonymous but anonymous altogether, how much significance can we attach
to the masculine gender here? But I'm not serious; I'm once again thinking
of how Ken Litwak always used to pipe up, when word of Hebrews arose, about
the possibility of Priscilla as the author(ess). I have no candidate of my
own.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu