Re: LXX Judges 4:11 Question

Dale M. Wheeler (dalemw@teleport.com)
Fri, 08 May 1998 23:16:40 -0700

Edward Hobbs wrote:

>The hH is feminine, because of DRUS (that part was right!). And ECOMENA
>does indeed mean "nearby," "next to," "adjoining." But it isn't any longer
>a participle agreeing with anything: It is an adverbial, derived from the
>participle (which was indeed neuter plural), which acts like a preposition,
>taking the genitive (though in Judges, the noun following is an
>indeclinable name).
>
>David asks for the grammar to find this in. In fact, it can be found in
>Glare's Supplement to the new edition of LSJM, p. 141.
>
>Now that I'm not on the phone, I think the answer is: Logos was on the
>phone (like me!) when they tagged this one.

As one of the editors of the CCAT/CATSS/UPenn MorphLXX (Whew...what a name !),
I guess I/we have to take credit/blame for this tagging, not the various
software vendors who use our database. The Neut Pl is the correct tag, as
it appears in the JudgA text in Rahlfs; the Fem Sg is an error...which
by the way, will get fixed in the next round of fixes to the MorphLXX
currently
underway full speed ahead. BTW, did anyone notice that in the JudgA text,
the relative is singular, while its antecedant is plural (though its singular
in JudgB).

For those of you interested in such things; at SBL this past year we released
version 1.5 of the database, which reattached all of the prepositional
prefixes
to the verbs correctly and fixed some other parsing and lemma problems. The
1.5 release can now be found in Accordance (GRAMCORD for the Mac) along
with the
LEH LXX Lexicon; and will be coming to a PC near you very soon.

This was only the first step in the *official* thorough-going revision
currently
underway under the direction of the new Editor of the MorphLXX, Dr. Bernard
Taylor--the corrections are being made on the basis of Dr. Taylor's
_Analytical
Lexicon to the LXX_ (Zondervan); and yes I DID emphasize *official* revision,
since this is the only revision work authorized by the copyright holders of
this
text! It is our goal to release another revision (perhaps with all the
corrections
made) at this year's SBL conference in sunny (just our luck, it'll probably
rain
on Mickey and Donald) Orlando, FL.

BTW, Edward, didn't you tell me once that you were going to write a complete
Grammar/Syntax on the LXX ?

XAIREIN...

Dale M. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Research Professor in Biblical Languages Multnomah Bible College
8435 NE Glisan Street Portland, OR 97220
Voice: 503-251-6416 FAX:503-254-1268 E-Mail: dalemw@teleport.com