Re: Wallace & 1 John 5:20

Jonathan Robie (jonathan@texcel.no)
Mon, 11 May 1998 10:53:33 -0400

At 11:57 AM 5/10/98 EDT, GregStffrd wrote:

>Jesus restricted the title hO MONOS ALHTHINOS THEOS to the Father, and John
>and those to whom he wrote were well aware of this, also.

When I read the verse, it seems to say precisely what you tell me it may
not mean ("es kann nicht sein was nicht sein darf"). And in light of John
20:28, I really don't understand your objection to the notion that Jesus
might be called God in the Johannine community.

I'm not sure how to continue at this point. Frankly, the antecedent of
hOUTOS in 1 John 5:20 seems quite clear to me. I've tried to read it as you
do, following your points in careful detail, but the text just doesn't read
that way to me. I'm not sure that it's useful to address each of your
points, since I think I've already clearly expressed why I interpret the
verse as I do, and responding again in detail wouldn't add much light to
the topic. Perhaps it is time for us to agree to disagree on this.

Jonathan

Jonathan Robie jwrobie@mindspring.com

Little Greek Home Page: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine
Little Greek 101: http://sunsite.unc.edu/koine/greek/lessons