Re: James 2:9

Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Thu, 14 May 1998 00:14:07

At 04:21 5/13/98 -0400, Jim West wrote:
>Indeed it is, and does, but unless the steward was doing something improper,
>how is it "transgression"? I mean I realize that the word comes from
>parabainw- but if so the two derivations, i.e., weponeer and transgressor,
>must then be unconnected. Is there, then, no connection between the two words?

It is fairly clear from my LSJG (and from Edward's original message)
that the meanings were already differentiated in the verb PARABAINW,
from which PARABATHS derives. Therefore, there is no need to postulate
any direct connection between the senses of steward and transgressor
for the noun.

Stephen Carlson

--
Stephen C. Carlson                   : Poetry speaks of aspirations,
scarlson@mindspring.com              : and songs chant the words.