Re: grammars: Hewett, Voelz, etc.

clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Sat, 16 May 1998 09:58:59 +0000

Steven Cox wrote:
> On this subject, what first grammar would the list recommend to someone
> teaching themselves who has just finished Dobson's course and has
> probably not had much experience of formal grammar before?
>
> Giving the following * to ***** stars would be helpful

For second year I would purchase Ricard Young's (Intermediate) and Porter's
(Idioms of NT). Both are cheap and both are good enough but not perfect.
Neither is "too heavy". Both make some use of linguistics. RIchard Young is a
student of the SIL school of thought and E. A. Nida. Porter is a student of
the Systemic Functional school. Neither book is heavy in linguistics.

Here are a few opinions, for what they are worth. (????) indicates books I am
unfamiliar with.

Goetchius, E.V.N. Language of the NT ****
(Integrates NT Greek with structuralism (linguistics), unique for a first year
book, expensive).

Porter (Idioms of NT GK) ****
(it is not too heavy)

Wallace **
(a so so reference work, not for self teaching)

BDF *****
(difficult, technical. You will need it eventually)

Moulton-Turner *
(most expensive and most over rated, I don't like it, rarely use it)

Smyth *****
(not a self teaching type book but an *indispensible* reference)

Young, Richard (Intermediate) ***
(not a bad second year text, some problems with theory)

> Brooks/Winberry: Second Year intermediate grammar (????)

> Dana/Mantey: Manual Grammar of NT ***
(very traditional, but useful and handy)

Easley: Common sense approach (must be a course?) (????)

> Hewett J: NT Gk a beginning-intermediate grammar. (????)

> Summers/Sawyer: Essentials of NT Greek *
Too basic even for a first year book, I haven't seen 2nd edition.

> MacDonald: Greek Enchiridian *
(a quick reference tool, not too useful)

> Machen J: NT Gk for beginners *
(famous, old, dated. Written for Princeton Students in the 20's)

> Mounce: Basics of Biblical Gk **
(a first year book, some improvement over Machen, not much)

> Perschbacher W: NT Gk Syntax an illustrated manual ***
(light on theory heavy on examples, not bad, not great)

> Rienecker F: Linguistic key to NT (????)

> Voelz J: Fundamental Greek Grammar (????)

> Friberg: Analytical Gk NT ****
(a analytical UBS3, good format, good introduction and appendix, not a grammar)

Han: Parsing Manual (????)

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point