Re: Silva

Micheal Palmer (mwpalmer@earthlink.net)
Sun, 17 May 1998 22:51:51 -0700 (PDT)

At 12:05 PM -0400 5/17/98, a list member wrote:
>Sure, hey why bother with grammar, syntax, or verbal forms when you already
>know what the text says because you, the reader, are the ultimate source of
>meaning.
>
>Silva's suggestion is simply eisegesis taken to its logical conclusion.
>Eisegesis is, however, bad scholarship and worse theology.

I find this comment to be most unfortunate. It makes it clear that the
author does not know Moises Silva, whose careful exegesis is far from what
is described here.

Micheal W. Palmer mwpalmer@earthlink.net
Religion & Philosophy
Meredith College

Visit the Greek Language and Linguistics Gateway at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/
You can also access my online bibliography of Greek Linguistics at
http://home.earthlink.net/~mwpalmer/greek.linguistics.bibliography/bibliography.
html