RE: grammars: Hewett, Voelz, etc.

Mon, 18 May 1998 19:21:49 -0400

At 4:50 PM -0400 5/18/98, Perry L. Stepp wrote:
>A half-informed comment, and a question:
>
>1.) I found Machen useful because of the paradigms. But $45 is too much to
>spend for a set of paradigms. (No 20-cent puns, please.)
>
>2.) Does anyone have experience with the *Athenaze* set, from Oxford? I
>ran across the two volumes in the Baylor bookstore for cheap (damaged) and
>grabbed them because they looked interesting, but they've sat on my shelf
>ever since.

Yes, it's sort of like *Reading Greek*, which I prefer, but it has a lot
more supplmentary stuff in it; my colleague Bob Lamberton has taught
Beginning Greek from it for two years, but I'll be doing the beginning
Greek next year and I'll be going back to *Reading Greek*--in my opinion
*Athenaze* is a bit high-schoolish in the way its continuous story
functions. But it's a matter of judgment.

As for (1) Any halfway decent book, and some that are less than halfway
decent, should at least have an accurate set of paradigms; the paradigms
don't change, so far as I've noticed, from one book to the next.