RE: telew

Pete Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Tue, 19 May 1998 13:30:53 +0100

I wonder whether this is all getting a little obtuse. If the word appears at the top of a bill we need to question why. TELEW seems to have some link with the paying of bills (see Carl's response and Moulton quoted in other responses). Therefore because the perfect passive means "it has been completed, accomplished, brought to fulfilment" this is not so far away from "it is paid".
So as far as bills are concerned I think I have no problem with the word meaning "Paid in full". But Jesus in John's Gospel is not saying "Paid in full". Surely he is saying "I've done it - I've accomplished the task of revelation for which I came".
The pastors' problem is in transferring a translation from one context to another without retranslating. We move onto a different area of TELEW's semantic domain without the pastors acknowledging the shift.

Pete Phillips,
Lecturer in NT,
Cliff College, Calver, Derbyshire, UK
Tel: 01246 582321
Fax: 01246 583739
http://champness.shef.ac.uk/

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim West [SMTP:jwest@highland.net]
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 1998 12:06 AM
To: b-greek@virginia.edu
Subject: telew

Yup, it is found on receipts. No one loves Moulton more than I! But just
because a word is found on a receipt does not mean that every time that word
is used it has reference to a bill being paid.

For instance, take any english word you like, put it somewhere, and try to
convince people that every time they see that word, they have to think of
that item.

Best,

Jim

Jim West, ThD