Re: Chiasm in Matt7:6

Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Wed, 20 May 1998 07:51:45 +0800

Mary, Clay
Thankyou for your comments.
Bauer quotes RHGNUMI for rabid swine in Aesop Fables 408
but I note it is ANARRHXEIN *THN KUNA* which may equally
(with the irony of Aesop's Fables) imply that RHGNUMI was
more naturally associated with KUWN? Of course I'm aware
that the modern pig is a substantially tamer beast than
the "swine" of 2000 years ago, but perhaps "goring" was
more of a danger than "tearing/rending"?

I'm not familiar with the refs for Meyer, Alford, Hendrikson
Do they give reasons for rejecting chiasm, or comment on
the appropriateness of chiasm to NT Gk generally?
Best rgds
Steven