Re: Romans 4:25 For or Through our Justification?

Mary L B Pendergraft (pender@wfu.edu)
Wed, 20 May 1998 21:54:59 -0400

At 01:17 PM 5/20/98 -0500, Bill Ross wrote:
>BILL
>>>Romans 4:25 in four translations:---much ellipsis--

>So, would the best translation be "delivered on account of our offences and
>has been raised on account of our justification" as opposed to "for our
>justification"? My problem with "for" is that it sounds like "in order to
>effect", rather than "as a effect of". It seems that the sense of "on
>account of" is that we are dealing with the effect, not the cause.

I think DIA by itself goes either way and that context will have decide.

Mary Pendergraft
Associate Professor of Classical Languages
Wake Forest University
Winston-Salem NC 27109-7343
336-758-5331 (NOTE: this is a new number) pender@wfu.edu