Re: gift of the Holy Spirit

MikeBzley (MikeBzley@aol.com)
Sat, 23 May 1998 14:54:23 EDT

In a message dated 23/05/98 16:19:51 GMT, Wayne wrote:

> An individual communicating with me maintains that "gift of the Holy
> Spirit" in Acts 2:38 is an epexegetical genitive, and makes no allowances
> for any other interpretation. Why are the following alternatives not
> possible:
>
> (1) Subjective genitive
> (2) Possessive genitive
> (3) Ablative case ?

Dear Wayne and fellow B-Greekers,

Robertson says, "The gift of the Holy Ghost (THN DWREAN TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS).
The gift consists (Acts 8:17) in the Holy Spirit (genitive of identification).

I agree with him that Acts 8:17 clearly records the receipt of the Holy Spirit
as a gift (ELAMBANON PNEUMA AGION), and verses 18 to 20 go on to show that
both Simon the Magus and Peter looked on the receiving of the Holy Spirit as a
gift from God (THN DWREAN TOU QEOU). Jesus had, however, previously promised
his disciples (Acts 1:8) that they would receive power when the Holy Spirit
came upon them (LHMYESQE DUNAMIN EPELQONTOS TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS) - the power
was the gift, not the Holy Spirit, who was the agent if not the giver. But
again in Acts 10:45 and 11:17, it is clearly the Holy Spirit that is the gift
of God (hH DWREA TOU hAGIOU PNEUMATOS EKKECUTAI and THN ISHN DWREAN EDWKEN
AUTOIS hO QEOS hWS KAI hHMIN PISTEUSASIN EPI TON KURION IHSOUN CRISTON).

Paul, however, seems to look on the Holy Spirit as the giver rather than the
gift when writing about the CARISMATA, and he only uses DWREA in the context
of the gifts of righteousness and grace (Romans 5:15 and 17, 2 Corinthians
9:15, and Ephesians 3:7 and 4:7).

The only other use of DWREA in this context is Hebrews 6:4 (ADUNATON GAR TOUS
APAX FWTISQENTAS, GEUSAMENOUS TE THS DWREAS THS EPOURANIOU KAI METOCOUS
GENHQENTAS PNEUMATOS hAGIOU), where again it seems to be the Holy Spirit that
is the gift, and a gift that can be lost.

I am not sure that the ablative case fits in any of these passage, and the
context of the passage you quote, backed up by Luke's usage elsewhere in Acts
(other than 1:8), indicates that Robertson's view seems to be the right one.
It is genitive of identification; the Holy Spirit is the gift as far as Luke
is concerned, even if for Paul he is the giver. But perhaps I am reading more
into this than the NT authors intended.

> Thanks for your counsel.
>
> Wayne Price

I hope it has been of some use.