Re: Greek Grammarians and Aspect

Daniel =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ria=F1o?= (danielrr@mad.servicom.es)
Sun, 24 May 1998 13:02:31 +0100

Edward Hobbs wrote:

>No, they [i.e. Apollonius Dyscolus and Dionysius Thrax]
> were not translated into English, though I have been hearing and
>reading abut such projects for years--for some time, at Indiana University,
>and then at the University of Louvain in Belgium. But I've been out of
>touch with historical linguistics circles since moving here from Berkeley
>17 years ago, and it may be it has really happened by now.

The question was asked and answered some weeks ago, more or less
like this:
The most notable Greek Grammarian of antiquity is Apollonius Dyscolus ("A.
the difficult"). The classical edition is that of R. Schneyder and G.
Uhlig, Leipzig 1878-1910 (reed. in ed. Olms, 1965) but there's a very
recent edition (1997) with text, French translation and notes. The text is
translated into Spanish by V. Becarés Botas (Madrid, Gredos, 1987) and into
English by F.W.Householder (Amsterdam, 1981). Prof. Becar'es has a very
useful "Diccionario de terminolog'ia gramatical griega" Salamanca 1985,
based mainly on the work of Apollonius and Herodianus.
The work of Dionysius is very diferent in character: it is basically a
school manual and it's importance is mainly due to its influence over the
West tradition of descriptive grammars. (...). There's a translation in V.
Law and I. Sluiter "The Techne Grammatike of Dionysius Thrax. An English
translation with a historical and linguistic commentary" (non vidi).

Daniel Rian~o Rufilanchas
c. Santa Engracia 52, 7 dcha.
28010-Madrid
Espan~a