Re: Matt. 10:28 again :)

Thu, 28 May 1998 05:56:20 -0400

At 2:09 AM -0400 5/28/98, Timo Flink wrote:
>Timo Flink here:
>
>After some help (thanks guys :)), I changed the rendering.
>
>KAI MH FOBEISQE APO TWN APOKTENNONTWN TO SWMA THN DE
>YUXHN MH DUNAMENWN APOKTEINAI. FOBEISQE DE MALLON TON
>DUNAMENON KAI YUXHN KAI SWMA APOLESAI EN GEENNA
>
>"Stop fearing those who slay the body but are unable to kill the breath (or
>'life'), but rather keep on fearing Him who is able to destroy both body
>and breath (or 'life') in hell."
>
>I'm thinking of Gen. 2:7 where body (dust) + breath (of life) = living soul
>(or 'being'). Maybe this verse tells something about it... I maybe wrong
>though...
>
>How's that?-)

For my part, I can't offer any definitive answer on this, chiefly because I
think there are some unanswered (and perhaps unanswerable) questions. For
me the chiefest of these concern the compositional context of Matthew and
particularly of this dominical saying: does an Aramaic original really
underly it, and if so what implications might be drawn from that? On the
surface (where it is most difficult to be sure about things), it really
looks like it's assuming a Hellenistic notion of a separable immortal soul
and a perishable body; at any rate, it appears to me that YUCH here is
closer to a Platonic sense than it is to the notion of the RUACH breathed
into Adam's nostrils in Genesis 2:7 that makes a human being a NEFESH.