Re: Mark ch 15, v. 2

Ben Crick (ben.crick@argonet.co.uk)
Mon, 1 Jun 98 22:25:30

On Sat 30 May 98 (22:56:19), hologos@aol.com wrote:
> Regarding Jesus' answer to Pilate's question, "Are you the king of the
> Jews," which answer was, SU LEGEIS, does anyone know of any Greek
> grammar or authority which indicates that this was an affirmative
> answer? I have heard people all my life say that this is some kind of
> Greek idiom making the effect affirmative, but have been unable to
> verify this.

Since several who responded to this request did so on b-greek, it seemed to
me that the List might want to see my reply, which was direct to the
questioner.

Dear hO LOGOS

SU LEGEIS is a legal response to a leading question from the prosecution,
which amounts to a prosecution demand for Jesus to confess or admit the
charge. Actually it is the Judge hO PILATOS who puts the leading question,
SU EI hO BASILEUS TWN IOUDAIWN; "Are you the King of the Jews?"

To this the only "neutral" response is to say "That is what you are alleging;
that is what you have to prove". SU LEGEIS: "That is what you are saying".
Compare APEKRIQH IHSOUS, *APO SEAUTOU SU TOUTO LEGEIS* H ALLOI EIPON SOI
PERI EMOU; (John 18:34).

To translate "You said it!" as if agreeing with the charge is to forget the
Courtroom scenario of the pericope.

IMHO

Ben <<<

--