RE: (long) Entropy and "semantic domain"

Pete Phillips (p.m.phillips@cliff.shef.ac.uk)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 08:29:01 +0100

Yes, Rolf, I hear what you are saying - you talk in psycholinguistics and I
translate into cognitive linguistics and in the end they are very similar
ideas. I don't think I have a problem with anything you are saying now. I
am simply wary of people saying that the lexeme denotes the referent rather
than the concept. With the tie up between one word-one concept you seemed
to be doing just this - rather than point to the concept and say that we
can express this concept with a variety of different lexemes each pertinent
to their own respective contexts, you seem to be pointing to the lexeme and
then leading onto the concept. Would it be better to start with the
concept and then begin to look at the context and work out which lexeme was
best. For example, your concept "bird" might be expressed by any of your
examples or e.g. "blackbird, penguin, ostrich" but if the context included
the categories "Antarctic", "black and white", "Emperor" you would want to
express the concept with "penguin" |(I hope! :>))
So in translating from Greek to English (or any other language) you need to
look at the concept referred to by the Greek lexeme and choose from this
concept pool the appropriate English lexeme. Hence, to use an example from
my research but one which may cause problems if any one takes it up, the
Greek lexeme LOGOS refers to a polysemous concept involving ideas, words,
communication, reasoning, numeracy, philosophy, wisdom......etc. Here the
idea of one word-one concept holds but is not too helpful for translation.
All we can do is attempt to go from the lexeme to the concept and through
a close reading of the specific context hope to draw the right connection
to the right English concept and so produce from that concept pool the
correct English lexeme.

Yes?

Pete Phillips,
Lecturer in NT,