Re: From whence it IS?

Burt Rozema (Burt.Rozema@trnty.edu)
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 08:50:46 -0500

I really hate to quibble with Carl Conrad, who is about the most erudite
responder on this list, but "historical present" isn't quite precise
here. The hist. pres. is found in narrative accounts, usually explained
as intended to render vividness to the narrative. There are a multitude
of examples in the gospels. (Just a random opening of my GNT to John
13:36 gives one: LEGEI AUTWi SIMWN PETROS,,,APEKRIQH IHSOUS.)

The more precise answer to the question of why ESTIN is present tense in
John 2:9 is that it is an indirect question, which retains the tense of
the direct question. "He did not know (the answer to this question):
`Where is it from?'" ("From whence," BTW, is redundant. Whence means
"from where.")

Again, there are many examples of this phenomenon, as I just turned the
page back to John 13:22: EBLEPON EIS ALLHLOUS OI MAQHTAI APOROYMENOI
PERI TINOS LEGEI.

Burt

--
Burton J. Rozema