Re: A room with three couches?

Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 19:13:01 +0800

Dear William
I bet Big Kittel has the full story.

You are reading it right; TRIKLINOS = set of three couches
as per Amphis Comicus ivBC, Polybius iiBC, Plutarch iAD
or a room with three couches, or what takes place in a room
with three couches. Maybe they left one side open for the
servants to approach and serve food? ARXITRIKLINOS was
presumably formed without too much difficulty on the Jewish
model of ARCISUNAGWGOS, ARCIFEREKITHS (cf. Pirke Aboth!) etc.

Interesting that two centuries after John (BAGD cites
Heliodorus Eroticus) the ARCITRIKLINOS who held the
TRIKLINIARCIA was a slave.

Someone with Glare can presumably say what the earliest
Latin reference for architriclinus is. (does the baby
Oxford Latin provide this kind of information too??)
Regards
Steven