Re: Article in Dative = "by" in Romans 5:15?

Williams, Wes (Wes.Williams@echostar.com)
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 17:33:55 -0600

At 4:00 PM -0400 6/03/98, Bill Ross wrote:
>Romans 5:15:
>
>>EI GAR TW TOU ENOS PARAPTWMATI
>>
>>is translated
>>
>>"For if through the offence"
>>
>>Question: Why is "TW" translated "by"?

Carl responded:
>It is an instrumental dative: translate it "by means of" or
"by reason of."
>It explains the causal factor for the Fall of Humanity. If
the cause were a
>PERSON, it would have been genitive with hUPO, but as it is
a THING, it is
>in the dative (normally without a preposition, occasionally
in Koine with
>EN).

Carl,

I am aware that grammars disagree on this point, but are you
saying that the hUPO would be used with a person because of the instrumental
dative, or because of the causal, or both? I ask since we do have the
instrumental dative with persons in Gal 3:8 hOTI ENEULOGHSONTAI EN SOI PAUTA
TA EQNH. "All nations will be blessed by means of you." At least, I see it
as an instrumental dative.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams