Re: historical present (Luke/Acts/Paul)

Steven Cox (scox@ns1.chinaonline.com.cn.net)
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:37:29 +0800

At 11:53 98/06/04 -0700, Dale M. Wheeler wrote:
>I've seen
>examples of the "use of the present" in certain publications (no,
>I won't say which ones, for fear of offending) in which ind disc
>uses are cited to show some really obtuse (ie., invalid) nuance
>for the present tense...which is then inappropriately applied to
>some other passage to prove some equally erroneous point.
>
>'nuf said...

Dale,
I'm not a Gramcord user so I don't know if the distinction
between present and historical present is marked, but I was
wondering if you would think ATR's mention of 9 hist.pres
in Luke and 13 in Acts is overcounting. Maybe that can't
be answered except by sitting down and reading thru, in
which case forget it.

I am also interested to know if anyone knows any definite
hist.pres (not quotation etc.) in Pauline epistles?
Warmest rgds
Steven