[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Acts 2:36

 Recently, on a newsgroup, someone wrote the following concerning
Acts 2:36.  The discussion involved who is responsible for the death
of Jesus.

>      Secondly, the translation says "WHOM YOU HAVE CRUCIFIED", but the
>question we are dealing with was who took Yeshua's life.  I contend with
>Scripture that Yeshua gave up his life of his own accord and that no one
>took it.  Yes, crucifixion can lead to death, but in the case of Yeshua,
>he gave up his life on his own.  Every spring there are Phillipinos who
>crucify themselves, but they don't die from it.
>      The third issue to consider is whether the phrase ON HUMEIS
>ESTAUROOSATE is being dealt with properly here.  Can it for example be
>translated not only as "whom you crucified" but as "who for you was
>crucified"?

 It seems clear to me that because humeis is nominative the correct
translation is "whom you crucified."  Is there a case in the NT text
where the latter phrase would occur?

--
Cindy Smith              --  Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
cms@dragon.com           ||  A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
><>                      /\  Woe to craven hearts and drooping hands,
Delay not your       .--/--\--.  to the sinner who treads a double path!
conversion       |----\/-||-\/----| Woe to the faint of heart who trust not,
to the Lord,     |----/\-||-/\----|   who therefore will have no shelter!
put it not off       `--\--/--'     Woe to you who have lost hope!
from day to day          \/   what will you do at the visitation of the Lord?
     -- Ecclesiasticus   ||           -- Ecclesiasticus/Ben Sira 2:12-14
        /Ben Sira 5:8    --