[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Hypocrite

1.  How does Mt use u(pokrith/s elsewhere?  The term is used rather
frequently in Mt and (I suggest) it does not mean "play-actor."
2.  I suggest that even the meaning "play-actor" is not unbiased;
note that Plato is one of those who uses u(pokrith/s in this sense
-- he doesn't like the theater!
3.  Since when are the Pharisees "conservatives"?  What are they
conserving?  What then are the Sadduccees?

     As I read Mt, whether the Pharisees are sincere is not the
point.  They are Jesus's strongest competition -- hence he gets mad
at them, and attacks them.  Two different ways to "righteousness" -
- perhaps Paul was attracted to both.

George Aichele
470-5237@mcimail.com
Adrian College