[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Midrash and authorial intent

to Paul J. Bodin:

I agree with your balanced statement regarding trying to grasp the thought
patterns of the day, and it is certainly not all of these elements which
I would deny are part of Paul's approach.  (Did I get all those negatives
correct).  The question is, did the typical Midrash of the day deny
authorial intent?  Did Paul?  I would answer yes to the first, and no
to the second, and that is the distinction I would make between them.
I would also say that any methodology which denies authorial intent is
wrong, and vast elements of Midrashic thought shared by Paul and not
denying authorial intent are correct, even by todays standards.

Would you say Paul or typical midrash deny authorial intent?

David John Marotta, Medical Center Computing, Stacey Hall
Univ of Virginia (804) 982-3718 wrk INTERNET: djm5g@virginia.edu
Box 512 Med Cntr (804) 924-5261 msg   BITNET: djm5g@virginia
C'ville VA 22908 (804) 296-7209 fax   IBM US: usuvarg8