[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 5 case

I believe that the 8 case system is based on comparative grammar that
takes into account Sanskrit and Latin.  That, in my opinion is an incorrect
methodology.  As Tom Greer points out, there are only 5 forms in Greek,
not 8.  While an "intelligent discussion" may require that we discuss
more than 5 uses, that does not mean that the Greeks understood there
were more than 5 cases.

As for the arguments offered by "-mib", well, those are arguments up with
with which I will put!!  I have argued such in the face of strong opposition
from those who speak "proper English", whatever that is.

Glenn Wooden

| R. Glenn Wooden        |         JANET: rgw1@uk.ac.st-and                 |
| St. Mary's College     |      Internet: rgw1%st-and.ac.uk@cunyvm.cuny.edu |
| St. Andrews University |   EARN/BITNET: rgw1%st-and.ac.uk@UKACRL          |