[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Textual Criticism Section

   For those of you who are planning to attend the Society of
Biblical Literature annual meeting in San Francisco later this
month, I would like to call to your attention the two meetings
of the New Testament Textual Criticism Section.  The first is
something of an innovation.  We have invited four biblical
commentators to give papers on the relation of text-critical
problems to NT exegesis.  The purpose is to show how problems
of the text have broader implications for such things as NT
theology and the social history of early Christianity, and
conversely, to show how ideology and social history are critical
for reconstructing the history of the text.  The panelists will
be David Aune, Raymond Brown, Adela Yarbro Collins, and Gordon Fee.

   The second session will feature papers dealing with versional
evidence (Diatesseron and Syro-Latin) and Patristic citations
(Tertullian, Cyril of Jerusalem, Athanasius), all of which focus on
the history of the transmission of the text.

   The first session is Saturday Nov. 21 at 3:45, the second is Monday
Nov. 23 at 1:00.  Hope to see some of you there.

Bart D. Ehrman  (BARTUNC@UNC)
Chair, NT Textual Criticism Section, SBL