[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Paul's Route to Rome

The NT book of Acts, at 27.4, describes Paul's trip to Rome as
proceeding in relation to Cyprus in response to problems with the winds
-- KJV "we sailed under Cyprus, because the winds were contrary";
-- RSV "we sailed under the lee of Cyprus, because the winds were
against us" (<gk>u(pepleu/samen th\n Ku/pron...</>)

Metzger, in the RSV and NRSV Oxford annotated editions comments
"apparently east of the island," and the maps in those bibles show the
route as passing between Crete and the mainland. Similarly the map inside
the back cover of the UBS 4 GNT.

But there are also maps that show the route as going along the southern
line of Crete before moving up to Myra on the mainland. I've been asked
about this hermenautical discrepancy, and wondered if anyone out there
had any light to shed. It is not important enough to me to run the
terminology through the TLG texts, or to check Ramsay or Foakes-Jackson
(Lake, Cadbury). But if someone has some precise knowledge or
bibliography to offer, write me as kraft@ccat.sas.upenn.edu.

Thanks. Bob Kraft, UPenn