[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: God the Father of us and of Christ?

John Richards' suggestion about the translation of Rom.1:7 is technically
a possibility but actually most unlikely.  On the larger question of how
Christ "functioned" in Paul's religion (and the NT generally) may I be
immodest enough to mention my own recent volume:  L. W. Hurtado, ONE GOD,
ONE LORD:  EARLY CHRISTIAN DEVOTION AND ANCIENT JEWISH MONOTHEISM
(Fortress Press, 1988).  As such passages as 2 Cor 13:14 show, Paul
regularly associates Christ with God in the exercise of functions more
characteristcially belonging to God ("the Father") in the OT and in Jewish
tradition.  See also, L. J. Kreitzer, JESUS AND GOD IN PAUL'S ESCHATOLOGY.
Larry Hurtado, Religion, Univ. of Manitoba