[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Did Jesus speak Greek?

>I have recently encountered the claim that Greek was Jesus' primary
>language.  How plausible is this, and what evidence supports it?  Can anyone
>recommend scholarly discussion on this?  TIA.

There was an article in a recent edition of Biblical Archaeology Review
which addressed this question. The author's conclusion was that it was
likely that Jesus did understand and/or speak a limited amount of
Greek. If someone is suggesting that it was his primary language, they
need to put up a lot of evidence to support their contention.
If you can't find the article or want a more specific reference, email
me and I will look the article up, it is at home.

                                                                      ___
Bill Rea                                                             (o o)
| Bill Rea, Computer Services Centre| E-Mail       b.rea@csc.canterbury.ac.nz |
| University of Canterbury          | or         cctr114@csc.canterbury.ac.nz |
| Christchurch, New Zealand         | Phone +64 3 364-2331 Fax +64 3 364-2332 |