[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

P 46 et al.

This question is a salutary reminder that the apparatus of any handbook edition
cannot offer all variants.  I am glad to hear that NA27 has a new list of the
readings of its "constant witnesses" (which should include P46), since it is
difficult at times to figure them out in the NA26 system.  In my understanding
readings (or at least unique readings) resulting from error (or at least
"obvious" scribal error) are not necessarily mentioned by the NA system.  These
omissions would include misspellings.  The best thing to do, which however
requires a large library, has been to inspect the separate publications of the
various papyrus discoveries, when these exist, though this (or asking for
microfilm copies) is a lot of work if the question is incidental to our main
point.  Perhaps K. Aland's Das Neue Testament auf Papyrus will fill this need,
*if* it includes all variants, not just "significant" ones.

BTW on P46 the place to look is Frederic G. Kenyon, The Chester Beatty Biblical
Papyri:  Descriptions and Texts of Twelve Manuscripts on Papyrus of the Greek
Bible.  Fasciculus III Supplement:  Pauline Epistles.  2 vols. (Text and
Plates).  London:  Emery Walker Ltd., 1936-1937.

Philip Sellew
Classical & Near Eastern Studies            voicemail:  612-625-2026
University of Minnesota                     FAX:        612-624-4894
selle001@maroon.tc.umn.edu