[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

re: Criteria

>>CARL W. CONRAD, C25001CC@WUVMD.BITNET OR C25001CC@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU
>>
>>Wouldn't it be more accurate to say, if one must say something like this, that
>>the question of the authentic text (of the gospels) is a theological one, but
>>the question of the authenticity of sayings attributed to Jesus in the gospels
>>is strictly a historical one?

This seems to me to bring up a more fundamental question, that being the
relevance of the historicity of Jesus' sayings to one's theology (not to
mention faith). I.e. does it make a difference whether or not Jesus actually
said something? If it does, then the two questions are inextricably
intertwined.