[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: History and Faith

 MOSSJA@ucbeh.san.uc.edu writes
>"The resurrection of Jesus may *once have been* an historical event >which
>impacted on the life of its subject (Jesus) and the original >witnesses.
>However, since that time, the resurrection has lived as a *story* >rather
than
>an event/experience.  Like all events/experiences, the resurrection >had no
>*inherent* meaning except as given in language in the telling of it.  >Yes,
>resurrection from the dead would have been a highly unusual, even >singular
>occurence.  Even so, it has no *meaning* unless someone says so. > The NT
gives
>the resurrection its normative *meaning* for Christians.

>The historical connection is not as important as it would seem at
>superficial
>glance."

    Yes, Christianity is a historical religion with actual historical events
rooted in its past. If the events did not happen, our faith is in vain. The
events cannot be spiritualized to the point that it doesn't matter if it
happened or not. The people who recorded the events claimed to be
eyewitnesses. If they made up their story, they lied. There can be no
spiritualization of a lie. The events had to have happened. "And if Christ
has not been raised, our preaching is useless and so is your faith ... For if
the dead are not raised, then Christ has not been raised either. And if
Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your
sins."
1 Corinthians 15:14 & 16-17