[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Positivism

Thanks to James Sennett & Philip Graber for helpful posts on
logical positivism. The "descendents" of the positivists (eg,
Quine et al., & less directly the semiologists) are still quite
important, although as Graber notes the view of language is now
considerably less simplistic. I'd like to add that the notion of
translation has also become more ambiguous, & this is part of the
problem I have with Louw & Nida's LEXICON, which is, I think,
much influenced by their views on "dynamic equivalence." On the
other hand, the electronic version of LN is *very* handy -- I
wish there was something like it for LSJ.

George Aichele
(Adrian College)
470-5237@mcimail.com