[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

ta melE humOn doula- predicate adjective?

On May 5 KLitwak wondered why doula in Rom 6:19 was described as a pred
adj by his respondents.  My response didn't call it that but I'll attempt
to explain why I think other responses did.

The term predicate is used in at least two ways.  Litwak seems to use it in the
sense of the attributive and predicate positions of adjectives with nouns
depending on the presence of the article in the word order.  But his respondentsseem to use the term to describe an adjective in the predicate of a sentence.
Not a nominative pred adj as with eimi, ginomai, huparchO, but an adjective in
the predicate of a transitive verb which further describes the noun.
 Is this helpful?

David L. Turner                         Office: 616/949-5300 x287
Professor of New Testament              Fax: 616/949-4154
Grand Rapids Baptist Seminary           E-mail: dturner@grbcs.edu