[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Houtos in Matt 5:19

> Thanks to those who replied so far.  But maybe I didn't
> explain myself enough.
>
> The NASB includes the connotation that *by* breaking
> a command, this *teaches* others to do the same.
> In other words, if someone sees me breaking a command,
> they think to themselves `He calls himself a Christian,
> and he is doing that - it must be OK' and then they
> go and follow my example.
>
> The NIV's translation simply does not include this
> connotation.  It talks about breaking a command
> *and* teaching others to break it - two separate things.
>
> Which is right?
>
> Richard.

Without getting onto Carl Conrad's limb :) , it seems to me that the
coordination of the two verbs with KAI (compare 19b where the same
verbs are coordinate) makes it unwise to read in a subordinate
relationship of the sort you suggest. If Matt had intended this he
could easily have used a participial construction or at least put
OUTWS before DIDAXHi where it would be clearer it wasn't taking the
place of the object of the vb.

Andrew Crouch