[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Houtos in Matt 5:19

On Sat, 7 May 1994 23:17:07 -0400 (EDT) you said:

>The meaning of annul for LUSHj is very interesting and attractive. The
>parallel second half of that verse has POIHSHj. It seems to be intended as
>contrast to LUSHj, since that one will be called MEGAS, whereas the one who
>LUSHj will be called ELAXISTOS.  What meaning do you assign to POIHSHj?

I see no problem with translating POIHSHj as "performs," "observes." I don't
think the antithesis is between "abolish" and "create" or "confirm" but rather
between "dissolve" and "continue to observe & practice."  (Yes, I know that
POIHSHj is aorist subjunctive, but so is LUSHj, and that's what is normally
called for in this sort of  future-more-vivid type of conditional construction)
. I think a key to understanding the meaning of LUW here is the antithesis of
LUW and DEW in Mt 16:19, Mt 18:18, where the authority is bestowed on Peter
and then on the community to dissolve and to make binding--where I assume it
is ordinances we are talking about.

CARL W. CONRAD, C25001CC@WUVMD.BITNET OR C25001CC@WUVMD.WUSTL.EDU
Classics, Washington University, One Brookings Dr., St. Louis, MO 63130
Phone: (314) 935-4018