[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Evangelicals and dynamic equivalence

On Monday, May 9, Prof. Sennett wrote the following:

>>Technically, a paraphrase is restatement of meaning from one form to
another *in the same language.*  As I recall, the Living Bible claims
to be based on the Hebrew and Greek texts, with reference to earlier
translations -- a claim similar to that made by virtually every
English translation.  The process of restating meaning from one
language to another is called "translation."  I think, though I may
be mistaken, that the Living Bible being called a paraphrase
is based on the misunderstanding that only so-called "literal"
translations are really translations, and other attempts to transfer
meaning into more usable idiom must be "paraphrases", since that is
usually the task of paraphrase within a given language.<<

My strong recollection is that the preface to the earliest editions
of the Living Bible indicated that Gardner(?) was not a scholar of
Hebrew or Greek, and that what he (alone) had done was to take the
KJV and put it in language that his pre-adolescent daughter could
understand.  I share your conern that we not rush to call a bad
translation a "paraphrase."  However, the 3rd ed. of Simon &
Schuster's Handbook for writers says, "When you paraphrase, you
precisely restate in your own words a passage written (or spoken) by
another person"(564).  It seems to me that this is precisely what
Gardner has done, and by his own admission.  I hope to uncover my
copy of the earliest edition to verify my suspicion.

Barry R. Sang
Catawba College
2300 W. Innes St.
Salisbury, NC  28144