[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

The Amplified (augmented, developed, dilated, enlarged, expanded, extended, magnified, stretched, widened) Bible (Scriptures, book, record)

I have a little copy of the "Widened Record" version of the
"Evangelizing of God is Gracious". The introduction reads
	I invite you to take a moment now to discover for yourself
	how <b>The Amplified Bible</b> can strengthen and enrich
	your understanding of God's Word. Just compare the text
	reproduced in this booklet with any other version of the
	Bible. You'll quickly see how <b>The Amplified Bible</b>...
		* Clarifies and explains difficult passages.
		* Enriches individual and group study.
		* Brings out the richness and full meaning of
		  the Greek and Hebrew texts.
		* Provides new insights into the meaning of God's
		  Word for today.

OK. I'll take up the invitation. Here's John 5.30 in the UBS4:
	<g>Ou dunamai egw poiein ap' emautou ouden: kaqws akouw
	  krinw, kai h krisis h emh dikaia estin, oti ou zhtw
	  to qelhma to emon alla to qelhma tou pemyantos me.</g>

In the NASB:
	I can do nothing on My own initiative. As I hear, I judge;
	and My judgement is just, because I do not seek My own will,
	but the will of Him who sent Me.

In the NIV:
	By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my
	judgement is just, for I seek not to please myself but him
	who sent me.
[The translation of `zhtw to qelhma' as `seek to please' is interesting]

In the GNB:
	I can do nothing on my own authority; I judge only as God
	tells me, so my judgement is right, because I am not trying
	to do what I want, but only what he who sent me wants.
[I disagree with `authority' here. Just dropping that one word would
 make the whole thing very much to my liking]

Now in the Amplified Bible. Let's see if it enriches, let's see if
	it brings out the richness and full meaning of the Greek text:

	I am able to do nothing from Myself - independently, of My
	own accord - but as I am taught by God <i>and</i> as I get His
	orders. [I decide as I am bidden to decide. As the voice
	comes to Me, so I give a decision.] Even as I hear, I judge
	and My judgment is right (just, righteous), because I do not
	seek <i>or</i> consult My own will - I have no desire to do
	what is pleasing to Myself, My own aim, My own purpose - but
	only the will <i>and</i> pleasure of the Father Who sent Me.

What do you all think?

No offence but this is the biggest load of theologically biased rubbish
I've ever read!

James K. Tauber, Undergraduate Student          ``Perplexed but not
Centre for Linguistics, UWA, Australia	             despairing''
E-mail: jtauber@tartarus.uwa.edu.au                    - Paul (2 Cor 4.8)
WWW:    ftp://tartarus.uwa.edu.au/pub/jtauber/main.html